Kia Optima: Cruise control system
The cruise control system allows you to program the vehicle to maintain a constant speed without resting your foot on the accelerator pedal.
This system is designed to function above approximately 40 km/h (25 mph).
• If the cruise control is left on, (CRUISE indicator light in the instrument cluster illuminated) the cruise control can be switched on accidentally. Keep the cruise control system off (CRUISE indicator light OFF) when the cruise control is not in use, to avoid inadvertently setting a speed.
• Use the cruise control system only when traveling on open highways in good weather.
• Do not use the cruise control when it may not be safe to keep the car at a constant speed, for instance, driving in heavy or varying traffic, or on slippery (rainy, icy or snow-covered) or winding roads or over 6% up-hill or down-hill roads.
• Pay particular attention to the driving conditions whenever using the cruise control system.
• Be careful when driving downhill using the cruise control system, which may increase the vehicle speed.
During cruise-speed driving of a manual transaxle vehicle, do not shift into neutral without depressing the clutch pedal, since the engine will be overrevved. If this happens, depress the clutch pedal or release the cruise control ON/OFF switch.
During normal cruise control operation, when the SET switch is activated or reactivated after applying the brakes, the cruise control will energize after approximately 3 seconds. This delay is normal.
To set cruise control speed:
1. Pull the CRUISE ON-OFF button on the steering wheel to turn the system on. The CRUISE indicator light in the instrument cluster will illuminate.
2. Accelerate to the desired speed, which must be more than 40 km/h (25 mph).
3. Push the -/SET switch, and release it at the desired speed. The SET indicator light in the instrument cluster will illuminate.
Release the accelerator at the same time. The desired speed will automatically be maintained.
On a steep grade, the vehicle may slow down or speed up slightly while going downhill.
To increase cruise control set speed:
Follow either of these procedures:
• Push the RES/+ switch and hold it.Your vehicle will accelerate. Release the switch at the speed you want.
• Push the RES/+ switch and release it immediately. The cruising speed will increase by 1.6 km/h (1 mph) each time the RES/+ switch is operated in this manner.
To decrease the cruising speed:
Follow either of these procedures:
• Push the -/SET switch and hold it.Your vehicle will gradually slow down.
Release the switch at the speed you want to maintain.
• Push the -/SET switch and release it immediately. The cruising speed will decrease by 1.6 km/h (1 mph) each time the -/SET switch is operated in this manner.
To temporarily accelerate with the cruise control on:
If you want to speed up temporarily when the cruise control is on, depress the accelerator pedal. Increased speed will not interfere with cruise control operation or change the set speed.
To return to the set speed, take your foot off the accelerator.
To cancel cruise control, do one of the following:
• Press the brake pedal.
• Press the clutch pedal with a manual transaxle.
• Shift into N (Neutral) with an automatic transaxle.
• Press the CANCEL switch located on the steering wheel.
• Decrease the vehicle speed lower than the memory speed by 15 km/h (9 mph).
• Decrease the vehicle speed to less than approximately 40 km/h (25 mph).
Each of these actions will cancel cruise control operation (the SET indicator light in the instrument cluster will go off), but it will not turn the system off. If you wish to resume cruise control operation, push the RES/+ switch located on your steering wheel. You will return to your previously preset speed.
To resume cruising speed at more than approximately 40 km/h (25 mph):
If any method other than the CRUISE ON-OFF switch was used to cancel cruising speed and the system is still activated, the most recent set speed will automatically resume when the RES/+ switch is pushed.
It will not resume, however, if the vehicle speed has dropped below approximately 40 km/h (25 mph).
To turn cruise control off, do one of the following:
• Release the CRUISE ON-OFF button (the CRUISE indicator light in the instrument cluster will go off).
• Turn the ignition off.
Both of these actions cancel cruise control operation. If you want to resume cruise control operation, repeat the steps provided in “To set cruise control speed” on the previous page.
Suggestions for obtaining service for your vehicle
Prepare For The Appointment If you’re having warranty work done, be sure to have theright papers with you. Take your warranty folder. Allwork to be performed may not be covered by thewarranty. Di ...
Filling a Portable Fuel Container
WARNING! Never fill a portable fuel container while it is in the vehicle. Static electricity discharge from the container can ignite the fuel vapor. You can be badly burned and the vehicle ...
Adjusting the EQ (Equalizer)
For vehicles with an equalizer: 1. Press the TONE button. 2. Select EQ. 3. Select the setting. Press the BACK button to go back to the Tone Settings menu. ...